Monthly Archives: July 2011

Setting up Ubuntu 10.04 using XenCenter 5.6 experimental Ubuntu template

After a while of getting errors while trying to install an Ubuntu ISO to a new Ubuntu template VM, I got it working using the following URL for the install from web:

http://mirror.yandex.ru/ubuntu/
UPDATE: this URL also works – http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
(The path they’re looking for is /dists/lucid/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/xen/vmlinuz)

Not sure why, but all of the mirrors I found apart from this had the wrong folder structure, and XenCenter wanted to find the ISO itself a few folders deep, rather than let me give it the exact location of the ISO to install.

 

Installing XenServer Tools is also easy.  Put the tools into the virtual drive, mount it, navigate to it and into the Linux directory, pick your package (64 or 32 bit) and install:

mkdir /media/cdrom
mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
cd /media/cdrom/Linux
dpkg -i xe-guest-utilities_5.6.100-651_i386.deb

 

Get audio working over HDMI

Took me a few hours, but I managed to get audio from my monitor connected via HDMI (to nvidia geforce card).

Firstly, installed proprietary nvidia drivers (and fixed the settings, by default the config was a bit messed up – couldn’t move programs between screens but could move mouse etc).  You may need to restart several times to get your display working properly again.

Secondly, find out what ALSA device number your monitor is and add the following line to /etc/pulse/default.pa
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,9
(My device number was hw:1,9; I just tried one and it worked, not sure how to actually find this out)

Thirdly, restart, then make sure Sound Preferences is showing the HDMI for Hardware (output device), and test to see which Profile it wants; in my case, “Digital Stereo (HDMI) nr 4 Output” worked.  Then check that Output is using this device.

It should be working after this.  I had to restart numerous times as no sound input was detected for a while, and Output refused to stick with my chosen device etc.

 

One thing that was very useful for checking hardware was functioning correctly: ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html

Ubuntu server time not calculating DST

For some reason, one of the servers I look after was displaying the time as an hour earlier than it should have been. The hardware clock was showing the correct UTC time, the Ubuntu settings specified that the hardware clock was on UTC and not local time, and the timezone said Europe/London, as it should have done.

I tried syncing the server to a time using NTP but that made no difference.

What did work, in the end, was simply resetting the timezone to Europe/London.  Not sure why!

Some useful things I used during this process:

Check that the hardware clock is displaying UTC: hwclock –check

Check that your ubuntu settings describe the hardware clock as UTC rather than localtime, check this file: /etc/default/rcS
The option should be: UTC=yes

Reset the timezone:
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Update the time from the internet with NTP:
ntpdate uk.pool.ntp.org