Useful if you’ve forgotten the root password, or managed to make a typo when setting up Nessus. This works with Nessus 5 (haven’t tested with other versions):
echo “newpassword” > <nessus_install_dir>/var/nessus/users/<admin_username>/auth/password
My install directory on Ubuntu 10.04 was /opt/nessus
Dig works but ping/anything else doesn’t?
Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf, comment out the following line:
hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
And replace with this instead:
hosts: files dns
I’m connecting to Windows SBS 2011, but it should work in other versions of Windows to. First, you’ll need the server IP, share name, and credentials to access the share if required.
- apt-get install smbfs
- Create the directory on your machine you’ll like the share to be linked to
- vi /etc/fstab, and add the following to the end:
//[SERVER_IP]/[SHARE_NAME] /[LOCAL_SHARE_FOLDER] cifs uid=[YOUR_LOCAL_USERNAME],credentials=/etc/cifspw,_netdev 0 0
- vi /etc/cifspw, and add the credentials to access the share (windows user account)
- chmod 600 /etc/cifspw
- mount -a
If successful, there will be no errors/messages when you use the mount -a command, and the share will be visible from Nautilus / wherever you mounted it.
- Make sure you have sun java installed (see here)
- Obviously install git and any languages you want to use
- If you do not have firefox installed you’ll need to download webkit/mozilla packages (I’m not exactly sure which)
- Install the following:
- xulrunner-1.9.2-dev (NOT 2.0 – 2.0 seems to rename some things from mozilla to webkit, and aptana wants mozilla)
- tk8.5 (might work with tk, I haven’t tried
- libswt-gtk-*-java (I have 3.6 version)
If you’re getting an error similar to the following:
Unhandled event loop exception
No more handles [MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME='/usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-2.0'] (java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Could not load SWT library ......
Make sure to install the 1.9.2 version of xulrunner instead of 2.0 (installing it should uninstall 2.0).
And if you’re getting an error similar to this:
exec 3 wish not found
Check your tk and python-tk are installed.
Once you’ve got rid of the error messages, you’re ready to start playing with git. Connecting an existing repo to a remote one ([commands icon] -> more -> add remote) was causing my aptana to crash without logging anything, however, creating a new project by importing a remote git repo worked, so let’s do that:
File > Import > Git > Git Repository
If you import an empty remote repo, the first time you try and push your files to the repo you’ll get the following error:
No refs in common and none specified; doing nothing.
Perhaps you should specify a branch such as 'master'.
To fix this, go to the terminal within aptana (or a normal terminal), make sure you’re in your project folder, and type:
git push origin master
This will sync the files, and from then you should be able to push properly.
This package seems to be working ok for basic use. Just wanted to make a quick note:
- Download, unzip etc
- Copy the iperf.exe to C:\Windows\System32
- Copy the cygwin1.dll to C:\Windows
- You should be able to use the iperf command in cmd now
download latest version: http://www.shrew.net/download/ike
apt-get install cmake build-essential flex bison libssl-dev libqt3-mt libqt3-mt-dev
cmake -DQTGUI=YES -DETCDIR=/etc -DNATT=YES
copy /etc/iked.conf.sample /etc/iked.conf
For some reason, it had binded on eth1 rather than eth0 (it’s supposed to bind on both).
Shrewsoft uses IPSEC_Pluto for IKE connections, check out this manpage: http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_files/cryptography/FreeSWAN-HOWTO/manpage.d/ipsec_pluto.8.html
To refresh the interfaces (restarting didn’t work for me, but this did), use:
ipsec whack –listen
UPDATE: I was wrong! It’s strongswan that uses IPSEC_PLUTO, Shrewsoft uses it’s own stuff, and the reason my Shrewsoft wasn’t making the connections as it should was because of conflicts with strongswan; once I uninstalled that it started working again.
Took me a few hours, but I managed to get audio from my monitor connected via HDMI (to nvidia geforce card).
Firstly, installed proprietary nvidia drivers (and fixed the settings, by default the config was a bit messed up – couldn’t move programs between screens but could move mouse etc). You may need to restart several times to get your display working properly again.
Secondly, find out what ALSA device number your monitor is and add the following line to /etc/pulse/default.pa
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,9
(My device number was hw:1,9; I just tried one and it worked, not sure how to actually find this out)
Thirdly, restart, then make sure Sound Preferences is showing the HDMI for Hardware (output device), and test to see which Profile it wants; in my case, “Digital Stereo (HDMI) nr 4 Output” worked. Then check that Output is using this device.
It should be working after this. I had to restart numerous times as no sound input was detected for a while, and Output refused to stick with my chosen device etc.
One thing that was very useful for checking hardware was functioning correctly: ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html